CookieYes now supports Google Consent Mode. Consent Mode is an API developed by Google to integrate Google tag behavior and the user’s consent tool. The Consent Mode has five consent types for cookies, such as advertisement, analytics, functional, personalization and security, for using the global site tag or Google Tag Manager (GTM). You can use them to decide how the tags behave based on user consent. E.g. if a user denies consent to use analytics cookies, the website will not use the cookies and instead, send an aggregate level of analytics information. Thus, the Consent Mode bridges the gap between respecting user consent and measuring conversions.
Here is a guide to how to integrate CookieYes with the Consent Mode.
If you don’t have an account with CookieYes, sign up for free and get started.
CookieYes Consent Mode integration
If you use Consent Mode with CookieYes, every time the website users give their consent choice, CookieYes will signal Google to modify the tag behavior based on the user’s choice. Therefore, the website will stop collecting or using any personally identifiable information and use aggregated information for their services.
There are two ways you can integrate Consent Mode with CookieYes — with and without using Google Tag Manager.
Implementation using Google Tag Manager template
First, you need to set up Google Tag Manager for your website. You can refer to the help guide for detailed instruction.
Now, follow along with these steps:
- Download the CookieYes template file from here.
- On the Tag Manager Console, go to Templates in the left sidebar and click on New as shown.
- Click the three dots next to Save in the top right corner.Click Import and select the CookieYes template you just downloaded. Click Save to save the changes and create the template in Tag Manager.
- To create a new tag, click Tags in the left sidebar, and then New as shown.
- Insert the CookieYes website key and set other fields to appropriate values.
|To get the website key:|
Log in to your CookieYes account and click the profile icon at the right top of the screen > Account Settings > Get Script > Copy Code.
Copy the website key from the src attribute (e.g. src=”https://cdn-cookieyes.com/client_data/YOUR_WEBSITE_KEY.js”).
- Select Consent Initialization – All Pages as the trigger for the tag and .
Click Save after naming the tag to complete the integration of CookieYes with the Google Consent Mode.
Implementation using custom script
To integrate CookieYes with Consent Mode without the use of GTM:
- Copy the custom script:
2. Paste the custom script above the CookieYes script and Google Tag Manager script. Ensure that the order of the scripts is as follows:
- Custom Consent Mode script
- gtag / GTM script
- CookieYes script
The script must be loaded in this order for it to work.
CookieYes CMP maps all the five Google consent types into 4 categories:
|Google consent type||CookieYes consent type||Purpose|
|ad_storage||advertisement||To enable advertisement cookies.|
|analytics_storage||analytics||To enable analytics cookies.|
|functionality_storage||functional||To enable functional cookies for website functionality and settings.|
|personalization_storage||functional||To enable functional cookies for user personalization.|
|security_storage||necessary||To enable necessary cookies for website security and protection, user UI preferences, etc. Such cookies do not require consent.|